The actual name of our Cathedral is Christ Church Cathedral, The original Cathedral was a parish church – Christ Church.
Services have been held on Church Hill or Piki Mai,since 1842.
In 1859 Queen Victoria created the Diocese of Nelson by Royal Charter. As a result Nelson became a city. The Church and the city have maintained a close relationship to the present day.
From 1859 to 1889 Christ Church was the unofficial Cathedral of the Diocese. In 1889 that church was enlarged and opened as the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Nelson.